Now that you have sorted and set in order, it is the perfect time to clean the area. In 5S, the step “Shine” does not only refer to cleaning: it also refers to performing maintenance duties and general inspection, catching money-wasting malfunctions before they occur.
In addition, this step in the 5S Organizing aspect of Lean Daily Management allows you to perfect the first two steps, as we often find additional things to remove or relocate as we are being really intentional about cleaning, repairing and inspecting the space.
Here are some suggestions for what to focus on as you perform the “Shine” step:
- Check electrical outlets and cables to make sure they are all in working order
- Dust your computer where the fan is located to prolong computer life
- Remove contents of desk drawer, including files, and dust thoroughly
- Vacuum or clean the keyboard to remove dust and crumbs
- Dust the walls and ceiling around windows and corners
- Check and replace light bulbs that are burned out
- Clean your printer’s print heads or schedule a maintenance person to do a routine inspection.