When the lovely folks over at Smead Organomics contacted us recently, asking if we would like to do a product review for their Life Documents Organizer Kit, I jumped all over it. Smead does a great job of creating beautiful, colorful paper organizing products that actually keep you organized instead of being clutter magnets.
The box arrived a couple of weeks ago and I was super excited to open it & check out the kit.
Here is the video of me opening the Life Documents Organizer Kit
As usual, Smead didn’t let me down. Everything was packaged very nicely and I love the colors. This kit was very easy to put together. There were instructions included, but it was pretty self-explanatory so I didn’t use them at all.
Here is my video explanation of what was included in this kit and how to put it together
I liked a lot of things about this kit, which you can hear more about in the podcast review of this product over on Smead’s website.
Here is a quick breakdown:
- The 3-D tabs have broad categories that pretty much cover every life event and situation.
- Insert file labels are included, with a broad range of categories. As a rule, many organizers discourage pre-made filing systems like these, since they often don’t account for uber-personalized categories, which we inevitably all have. However, the insert files include pretty much every category under the sun. This was much more extensive than your run-of-the-mill accordion file with pre-made labels. Also, you can print additional labels easily through the Smead website.
- There were some label categories in this kit that I don’t currently have need of. However, as a thirty-something with a new baby and home, it was a great “to-do” list of sorts, reminding me of what I need to work on in terms of planning for retirement, estate planning, etc.
- The kit is compact and would be very easy to grab in an emergency. The size designates it as a good organizer for critical pieces of paper, not as a place to store reference paper such as old tax returns and bills. Those would need to be stored elsewhere.
- This kit would also work as a good starting point for those wanting to gather these documents together, but struggle with how to begin. As mentioned above, the file categories are extremely extensive, so they give lots of ideas for what you should add to the kit, along with documents that you still need to obtain or establish.